Saturday, May 16, 2009

Andiamo to Roma

Today the entire group ventured into the unknown world of ROMA...and what an unknown world it really is. Rome differed so much from any other place in Italy so far. I guess I should compare Rome to New York City because of the hustle and bustle city life with tons of tourism. I'm not quiet sure if we saw any true "Romans" because everyone else looked like tourists as well with a camera attached to their hand. Except for, of course, the nagging salesmen who have Gucci and Prada purses layed out on a blanket to prepare for a quick escape. I have to admit that I gave in and bought some knock off Ray-Bans that I am pretty proud of. Only 10 Euros. I didn't realize that you could bargain with these guys or else it would have been about a euro cheaper. Buying new shades can now be checked off of the list of things to buy in Italy.

As far as sight seeing goes, I felt like the ultimate tourist (minus the stylish fanny pack) but it was so amazing! We visited the Spanish Steps first, but honestly I thought I would be much larger in life...I still loved it though. We got to walk down Via Condotti, which is the fashion center of Rome. We passed by Gucci, Jimmy Choo, Valentino.. you get the point. It was nice to gaze into the display windows and dream of being able to afford a keychain. Later, we were walking through all these very tall apartments and cafe restaurants when all of the sudden we turn a corner and out pops the Pantheon! I think the fact that it took me by surprise made the experience that much better. The Pantheon was massive and by far the most memorable location. After lunch (Italian time, lunch starts around 2) we walked to Via Margutta. This street has personal significance because of the one and only Audrey Hepburn. Yes, Audrey Hepburn and Gregory Peck, also known as Princess Anne and Joe Bradley from the movie Roman Holiday. Via Margutta is in fact the address where Joe Bradley lives, and Anne accidently stays the night on his couch because she wants to escape her princess duties. I'm trying not to get carried away with plot summary, but Via Margutta 51 is from Roman Holiday and today I had the most wonderful opportunity to visit the street in person. Needless to say, I will probably be happy for a week.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Sam!
    DO NOT PAY RETAIL AGAIN or you are not your mother's daughter !

    ReplyDelete